The same importance for a Dyson model was that it must be very easy to
His design took 5 years to perfect and he created over 5000 prototypes
before he found the design that he felt was a high quality vacuum that
encompassed all the major considerations when purchasing a new vacuum
The original design flaw that James Dyson wanted to correct was the
vacuum cleaner's tendency to lose suction power over a period of time.
The invention of the Root Cyclone Technology system corrected this
Why Dyson Vacuums
If you are interested in picking up a Dyson vacuum cleaner, here's what you need to know:
1. All Dyson vacuums are bagless. That means they don't require dirt bags. The Dysons don't clog or choke on dust/dirt.
2. Well designed vacuuming accessories. For example: most Dysons come with a rather long extension hose that makes it really easy to clean carpets on stairways, or a large room without having to re-plug the machine every so often.
One can simply clip the attachments to the vacuum when not needed, and attach them quickly when required.
3. Most Dysons come with HEPA filters that offer Hypo-Allergenic filtering. They are excellent machines for people who suffer from any sort of air borne allergies. The filters are washable, durable, and have a long life.
That being said, there have been cases where consumers have had to change their filter within 3 years. But, since replacing filters is not very expensive, buying a replacement filter won't pinch your pocket. Make sure you always buy genuine Dyson filters and spare parts to ensure your purchases are covered by proper warranty.
4. Excellent maneuverability. 'The Ball' feature in Dyson vacuums is an excellent mechanism that allows consumers to pull/push and maneuver the vacuum cleaner around at home.
This feature has been a hit with consumers as it provides tremendous flexibility.
5. Constant suction. Dyson machines do not lose suction like some bagged vacuums. Thanks to the Root Cyclone technology they keep the suction power high all the time.
Types of Dyson Vacuum Cleaners
Dyson manufactures three types of vacuum cleaners:
2. Canisters, and
The following Dyson vacuum reviews include all machines that we have tested thoroughly with our suite of tests and measurements. The main model missing from the list is the Dyson DC41 which we hope to review soon.
Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaners
One of the most beneficial features of Dyson uprights is the fact that they have a five-year warranty period. Other than that, all upright Dyson vacuum cleaners are bagless and cleaning the dust cap is an easy affair.
Of course, suction power, accessories, and other features like the Ball swivel base are pretty much standard for all Dysons across the board.
Main upright vacuum models available are - DC14, DC17, DC24, DC25, DC28, DC33 and DC41 among others.
Dyson Canister Vacuum Cleaners
Hard floors and carpets demand a canister vacuum with tremendous suction ability, and that's what Dyson canister vacuums are equipped with. Canister vacuums are versatile and can be carried up and down staircases making cleaning staircase carpets or floors easy.
Dyson Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
Dyson handhelds differ from other handheld vacuum cleaners by their superior suction and bagless design. The one disadvantage of such high suction is high energy consumption therefore they typically last just over 5 minutes. That's usually more than enough for quick cleanups.
The Dyson Difference
In order to stay ahead of the competition, most consumer products manufacturers are spending huge sums of money on research and development of technology to improve the consumer experience. Dyson is no different.
After the success achieved with use of Ball and Root Cyclone technologies, the 'carbon-free' motors are the next big advancement with the Dyson vacuum cleaners. Essentially, a carbon free motor has a longer life and functions more smoothly as compared with other branded motors. The Dyson motors are small and light, yet powerful enough to offer super suction as per company's claim.
The vacuum motor is digital, i.e. its mechanism is controlled via a microchip that has the ability to generate 88,000 RPM! In layman terms, this means that a Dyson vac's motor is five times faster than a F1 racing car's engine. And a faster motor means a quicker and cleaner vacuuming process.
The Verdict - Experts And Consumers on Dyson Vacuums
Based on our reviews of Dyson vacuum cleaners, we can summarize the Good and the Bad into these points:
- Excellent accessories. Arguably the best range in the market.
- Dyson machines boast of advanced technologies like Root cyclone, Ball system, and digital motor (all explained above)
- All Dysons are bagless and most come with HEPA filters making them an excellent choice for those having airborne allergies from dust, pet dander, or pollen.
- More expensive compared to other branded models with similar features.
- The portable DC16 and DC35 have a short battery life, and can stop working after just 6 minutes of cleaning (only on high for the DC35), leaving us hanging.
- Questionable durability. Many vacuum stores deal with repairing Dysons frequently because users don't wash filters as often as they should and because the materials used to construct these vacuum cleaners are not that durable.
Consumer Reviews on Dysons
Based on the consumers reviews we've gathered from our site and from other online review websites like Amazon.com, this is what consumers think about Dyson vacuum cleaners:
- Amazing cleaning (suction) power!
- Easy assembly of the machine
- Ease of using the attachments
- The cost
- The weight
- Short electric cord (especially for the canister models)
It's true that you get the quality you pay for. Perhaps, that may explain why Dyson vacuum cleaners are priced high.
For example: The Dyson DC25 Animal is priced at $475, while the DC24 All Floors costs $364 on Amazon.com. That being said, the prices vary per model.
Now, if despite knowing the verdicts you are still interested in a bagless vacuum cleaner with some of the best cleaning accessories in the market that makes it easy to clean lots of pet hair in the carpets then a Dyson is your best bet.
However, if you have a staircase and can't lug a heavy machine then opt for a different brand.
One thing remains unchanged. That is the user experience. And Dyson vacuum cleaners make sucking the dust and dirt out of your home look so easy that it's almost pleasurable, if nothing else!
Where to buy Dyson vacuums online?
Based on our research we've narrowed down the massive amount of choices you have to just 4 online stores:
Where to Buy?
- Amazon.com - the most popular online store offers full selection of all Dyson vacuum cleaners, including uprights, canisters and handhelds.
- Dyson.com - the offical website also allows you to purchase Dyson models directly from the website and allows you to read Dyson reviews of each models before you buy.
- Witvac.com - an online store selling only Dyson models. They also provide you with a Dyson buying guide and comparison charts making it easier to decide which model to buy.