Consumer Reports on Dyson Vacuums
- A wide range of vacuums (handheld, upright, animal cleaner, etc.)
- Fairly well-functioning machines (save for a few flaws).
- Versatile to a limited extent.
- Almost all models have extremely powerful suction.
- Designed with a sleek, modern appearance.
- Almost all models have perfect filtration score with the modern HEPA filters.
- More expensive compared to other branded models with similar features.
- Upright vacuum cleaners tend to be VERY bulky, heavy, and often fairly unwieldy. Also a bit unsteady on stairs and uneven surfaces.
- Multiple users have commented on the poor quality of Dyson’s customer service.
- Depending on the state, it may be hard to find Dyson repair stores.
Dyson is one of the oldest brands in the country and it offers a wide range of appliances. There are a lot of things that make Dyson a great choice, but if you’re looking for a hard-working, long-lasting machine, you may be better served with a brand like Hoover.
Still, if you need a portable, a handheld or a stick vacuum cleaner, then Dyson can definitely be a good choice!
Consumer Reports on Electrolux Vacuums
- All models seem to perform well on hardwood floors.
- The design of the Electrolux vacuum cleaners is uber-sleek and modern, making it look much more elegant than the clunky-looking older models.
- Built to be solid, long-lasting appliances.
- The customer care offered by Electrolux is much better than many of the competing brands (they contacted one user who wrote a negative review and offered to replace the vacuum cleaner.
- One of the best rated is the Ergorapido which is as lightweight and easy to use as it gets. It’s ultra-maneuverable, has good suction, and looks snazzy.
- Some models aren’t designed to work on carpeting, only on hardwood floors.
- Replacing the battery on some of the hand-held models is quite difficult, and many stores no longer carry the parts for the vacuums.
- Some users commented on parts and attachments falling off within the first hour or two of use.
- When the vacuum cleaner jams, it’s very difficult to clean.
Electrolux is well-known for its larger appliances, and it only manufactures a few vacuum cleaner models. The models of vacuum cleaners have their pros and cons, but in the end, Electrolux offers a solid vacuum cleaner at a slightly elevated price tag.
Consumer Reports on Shark Vacuums
- The quality of customer service is well above par. Users have commented on getting their malfunctioning or broken parts replaced in as little as 30 minutes talking on the phone.
- The Navigator is one of Amazon’s best-selling vacuum cleaners, with over 2,000 5-star reviews.
- The price tag on the Shark vacuum cleaners tends to be lower than competing brands, but the quality is on or above par.
- Top quality suction, HEPA filtration, and lightweight designs.
- All of the vacuums use canisters instead of bags, making them much easier to clean and empty.
- Seeing as the vacuum cleaners are so light, they tend to topple easily and are not as steady as heavier appliances.
- The canisters are bulky, making it hard to vacuum under tables and furniture.
- There is less storage space for on-board attachments than with the other brands.
- The duster bristles are too short and bend too easily.
Consumer Reports on Hoover Vacuums
- One of the oldest manufacturers in the country, with decades of experience producing quality vacuum cleaners.
- Excellent suction power, particularly on carpets.
- Filters are located in a place that is easy to access and remove, making the Hoover vacuums easy to clean. Plus, it’s very easy for you to clean and service the vacuums yourself.
- The noise level on the Hoover vacuums is lower than many of the competing brands, making for user-friendly operations.
- Lightweight, comfortable to hold for long periods of time, and with a price tag you’ll find hard to beat.
- The vacuums are easy to move, but when it comes time to lift them, they’re surprisingly heavy. Most of the weight is in the head. Dragging them up and down stairs is a challenge.
- The canisters need to be changed frequently, as they fill up quickly and tend to clog if not emptied. It’s also a very messy process.
- The cords on the vacuum cleaners are shorter than average.
- The suction is so strong it feels like you have to fight the hose just to vacuum your house.
If you want a quality, long-lasting appliance at a great price, Hoover is your brand of choice. Its many decades of experience ensure that they can deliver a vacuum cleaner that is built for your use and convenience!
Consumer Reports on Kirby Vacuums
- The suction power on the Kirby vacuum cleaners is one of the best on the market. More powerful than even some commercial cleaners.
- The construction of the appliances is very solid, and the vacuum cleaners feel good in your hands.
- The appliances are very versatile, with attachments for a wide range of tasks.
- They are a long-lasting brand (some users reported owning and operating theirs regularly for more than 10 years!)
- It’s especially effective on carpets, though it does a good job on hardwood floors as well.
- The machines are VERY expensive (no less than $700 to $900 for a brand new vacuum cleaner with all the add-ons).
- Buying a Kirby vacuum cleaner is surprisingly difficult–it’s not easy to find online, and your in-person purchase may be accompanied by a “pushy” live vacuum cleaner demo.
- Customer service is not up to the standard of other brands.
- The vacuum cleaners are uber-heavy (weighing as much as 25 pounds)
While Kirby vacuum cleaners do offer a wide range of benefits, the truth is that they may not be your best pick thanks to their limited availability and poor customer service.
Consumer Reports on Dirt Devil Vacuums
- Offers one of the best prices for any vacuum cleaner ($20 for a corded, bagless stick vacuum)
- The Dirt Devil Simpli-Stik one of the top-selling vacuum cleaners on Amazon, with over 3,500 positive user reviews.
- The handheld models are useful for both in the car and home, and they’re highly versatile.
- All vacuum cleaners are compact, easy to store, lightweight, and built for user convenience.
- The machines come with excellent power, and they’re very easy to assemble.
- They feel a bit flimsy. This may be due to the fact that they’re extremely lightweight, but they just don’t have that solid feel you get with other vacuums.
- Typically they are not as effective for large, wide open spaces. If you have a lot of floor to vacuum, the Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners may not be up to the task.
- Battery life on the handheld devices isn’t up to par with that of brands like Black and Decker.
- It’s tough to find replacement parts for your vacuum cleaner, and the parts are almost as expensive as the vacuum cleaner itself.
Dirt Devil is a good starter vacuum cleaner, as the low price tag makes it VERY affordable. But if you need a serious machine, it may not be your best choice.
Consumer Reports on Rainbow Vacuums
- Durable, hardcore vacuum cleaners that can handle any amount of floor space.
- Built with powerful motors that provide amazing suction power.
- The Rainbow vacuum cleaners do an excellent job of sucking up all the debris and dust in the house.
- They are long-lasting machines that will often continue functioning for up to 20 years.
- The price tag is VERY high (up to $2,500 for some of the models!)
- Not available online. Can only be bought in Rainbow stores. The more easily available second-hand models don’t come with the 20-year warranty.
- Water inside the vacuum cleaner needs to be changed regularly in order to prevent clogs.
- Very heavy and slightly unwieldy; built in the old rolling vacuum cleaner style.
- Setting up and breaking down the vacuum cleaner is a chore in itself. Definitely not the most user-friendly machine.
If you’re looking for a hardcore vacuum cleaner that can handle any amount of dirt, Rainbow is the brand for you. If you want user convenience and an affordable price tag, look elsewhere.
Consumer Reports on Eureka Vacuums
- Excellent for sucking up pet dander and dust (particularly the Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum).
- Eureka vacuums are designed to be compact, yet they have decent suction power despite their size.
- The handheld vacuums are excellent for cleaning small spaces (cars, closets, garages, etc.)
- The heavy-duty filter (NOT HEPA) does a good job of cleaning the air in your home.
- The Eureka vacuum cleaners tend to be a bit heavy, making it hard to maneuver them easily.
- Power cord can be difficult to store.
- Emptying the vacuum cleaner can be a messy process, and it is necessary to use a brush to clean out the filter.
- Typically excellent on hardwood floors; not as effective on thick carpeting.
There are a lot of things that make Eureka a great choice, but the brand also comes with quite a few drawbacks. It’s a mid-level brand that worth purchasing if you want decent quality at a decent price.
Hopefully this overview of consumer reviews will give you an idea of what each vacuum cleaner brand offers, and will help you find the brand that provides the best bang for your buck!
You’ll want to do additional research into specific models, but at least you have a rudimentary understanding of what each brand can provide in terms of quality, price, and operation.
Want to leave your own user review and let us know how your vacuum cleaner is working?
Go to the main brand page of your vacuum cleaner and find the vacuum you want to review it. Click on “Leave Review” and share everything you’ve learned operating your vacuum cleaner!
We can all benefit from your experience, and you may help someone else make the right decision.